In 2006, the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM) adopted the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM), a policy framework to foster the sound management of chemicals. SAICM is based on principles of multi-stakeholder and multi-sector engagement and supports the achievement of the World Summit on Sustainable Development goal that, by 2020, chemicals are produced and used in ways that minimize significant adverse impacts on the environment and human health.
UNITAR has provides technical assistance to countries in their efforts to implement SAICM. This includes developing or updating National Profiles, preparing national SAICM implementation plans, designing national pollutant release and transfer registers, and undertaking preparatory activities for implementation of the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS).
Activities to 2018
Since 2007, UNITAR has served as the international executing agency for more than 70 projects supported by the SAICM Quick Start Programme Trust Fund (QSPTF), coordinating more than USD 13 million in funding. A video outlining UNITAR’s support to the QSPTF can be viewed here UNITAR Support to the SAICM QSPTF.
To support national SAICM implementation, the SAICM Secretariat and UNITAR, in collaboration with the IOMC, developed Guidance for Developing SAICM Implementation Plans.
Responding to one of the key functions of ICCM – to call for appropriate action on “emerging policy issues” as they arise and to forge consensus on priorities for cooperative action – OECD and UNITAR have been leading actions related to nanotechnologies and manufactured nanomaterials, with the support of the Government of Switzerland.
Supporting the Beyond 2020 Process
In September 2015, the fourth International Conference on Chemicals Management initiated an intersessional process to prepare recommendations regarding the Strategic Approach and the sound management of chemicals and waste beyond 2020. Since then, UNITAR has been actively participating and providing input to the development of a chemicals and waste management framework beyond 2020.
- 2018 - International Policy Development - 2018 Activities
- 2019 - Stakeholder Workshop on Strengthening Governance for the Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste Beyond 2020
- 2019 - Workshop on Strengthening Governance for the Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste Beyond 2020 from Concepts to Implementation
- 2020 - Stakeholder Workshop on Strengthening Governance for the Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste Beyond 2020
- 2020 - Technical Expert Workshop on Criteria for Substances of International Concern Beyond 2020
UNITAR has worked together with several partners to develop a series of online courses to assist key stakeholders across a range of chemicals and waste management issues.
- Legislation for Chemicals Placed on the Market
- Sustainable Financing of Institutional Capacity for Chemicals Control
- Enforcement of Chemicals Legislation
- Risk Reduction of Chemicals
- Waste Management and Circular Economy
- Classifying and Labelling Chemicals According to the UN GHS
You can see the full list of courses on this page.