Individual Contractor – Science
Under the overall supervision of the Manager of SCYCLE, the incumbent will:
- Supports the development and implementation of UNITAR SCYCLE portfolio by:
- Supporting the identification of project funding’s and acquisition activities;
- Supporting UNITAR work on research, training and implementation, including through performing and coordinating scientific research, gathering and analyzing data, preparing and performing training, and providing implementation support by drawing conclusions and making recommendations.
- Supporting the planning and delivery of global, regional and national UNITAR SCYCLE research and training services and other activities;
- Contribute to project deliverables for results and recommendation exercises, including through drafts for inputs and liaison internally with the SCYCLE team, within UNITAR and international project partners across the consortia SCYCLE is engaged in;
- Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs, including reports, briefing notes, policy briefs, background papers, analytical notes, presentations, monitors and scientific publications.
- Supports the development and implementation of UNITAR Sustainable Cycles by:
- Providing research, technical and project management support for activities related to circular economy, sustainable consumption and production (SCP), modelling of material flows at national, regional, and global levels, and activities to support the European Commission legislative procedures related to chemicals and hazardous materials legislation;
- Assist in partnership building activities and preparation of project concepts in order to help to expand UNITAR’s research and training portfolio in the area of sustainable cycles for technology products (e.g., consumer electronics, electric vehicles, solar photovoltaic, and emerging technologies and trends like blockchain and digitalization), strategic approaches towards sustainability and circular economy;
- Supports Project Development and Management by:
- Contributing towards the building and strengthening of partnerships with international organizations, research and training institutions, and practitioners;
- Contributing to the identification and mobilisation of project resources through appropriate proposals;
- Providing administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, events linked to the projects’ tasks, to include proposing agenda topics, preparation of background documents, presentations and records, handling logistics etc;
- Assist in outreach activities; participates in the development of research and training; prepares and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Participating in meetings and missions.
- Outputs are delivered in a timely fashion and of high quality;
- Communications in dealing with countries and project partners are professional and systematic;
- High quality research and inputs for the development of research and training products development;
- Support of team leadership is demonstrated and positive spirit within the structure of the institute is supported and maintained;
- The interests of SCYCLE are represented in internal and external meetings, as needed;
- Effective prioritization of work, initiative and responsibility taken for work within the programme/projects served.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise - is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Communications: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in one or more of the following: Environmental Engineering, Environmental science or other equivalent related technical field.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience at the national and international level in the area of research and trainings with a specialization of sustainable production, usage and disposal of ubiquitous goods, waste-management, circular economy, industrial ecology, and any other relevant fields.
- At least two years of experience in supporting project and programme design and implementation including at country, regional and global level is desirable.
- Proficiency in coordinating and implementing of research activities and dissemination through high-quality scientific publications is desirable;
- Experience in collaborating with research, governmental and academic partners is desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, PowerPoint, is desirable
Languages: Fluency in English required and Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please submit your application along with a motivation letter as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to the high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.