June Edition: 5 Jun 2023 - 25 Jun 2023
Are you passionate about climate change and diplomacy? Do you want to make a difference in the world? The UN Career for Climate Action Programme is designed for practitioners, students, aspiring young leaders and observers who want to contribute meaningfully to international efforts to address climate change.
The partnership between the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and the Balsillie School of International Affairs (BSIA) offers you a unique opportunity to enhance your knowledge and skills in climate action and diplomacy.
Participants can expect:
- 3 weeks of online training with e-learning modules and live components
- In-depth training from UN staff and academic experts
- Climate change simulation exercise facilitated by seasoned negotiation experts
- Weekly reading material, multimedia files, and discussion boards
- Live webinars delivered by UN staff and academic experts
- E-workshops on leadership and virtual guided tours of the UN Palais des Nations and the diplomatic district of Geneva.
- Highly interactive and participatory sessions
The programme aims to provide insights into where the UN System’s climate action efforts are today, what work remains to be done, and how to build a career within this sector. Participants will gain perspective on the challenges faced by individual states as they mobilize to respond to international targets and plans.
Each week will cover a major theme:
- Week 1 - The UN: Climate Policy Institutions, Processes and Tools
- Week 2 – Global Climate Negotiations: From the Top-Down and Bottom-Up
- Week 3 – UN Career Skills for Climate Action
The readings of the programme will cover:
- Module 1.1: Mitigating Climate Change
- Module 1.2: The “long road” to the Paris Agreement
- Module 2: International Climate Finance and Technology Transfer
- Module 3: Negotiation Skills
By joining the training programme, participants will:
- Develop skills in negotiating, public speaking in a virtual environment, and leadership
- Learn about the internal UN hierarchy, the required competencies to join the UN, as well as entry points into the UN system
- Join a global network of scholars, practitioners, and students
- Contribute to enhancing the quality of people’s lives around the world
- Make a difference in the world
- Begin the journey towards becoming a climate action diplomat
BSIA and UNITAR welcome a variety of professional backgrounds as well as different degrees of experience among participants. Participants can come from the public or private sector, NGOs, think tanks and academia. University students and participants from entirely different backgrounds are equally welcome to apply.
As the training programme will be conducted in English, it is important for participants to have a solid understanding of this language to gain the most from the programme.
Registration instructions are as follows:
- Click on "register." The programme will then be added to your shopping cart.
- Click on the "check out" button
- Create your own profile on the UNITAR event page and fill out the required sections
- Review the accuracy of all information and choose payment method: (i) credit card or (ii) bank transfer
- If you choose credit card, your payment is definite and is completed immediately on the spot
- If you choose to pay by bank transfer, your payment is not definite yet and could be delayed to a later point in time
- In either of the choices, click on complete payment. UNITAR will follow up with you via email thereafter.
For any questions or assistance, please email email@example.com