Sustainability is a key element that needs to be implemented in every aspect of the environment we leave in.
For this purpose, UNITAR partnered with MLA College to launch the Master in Global Sustainable Development. The collaboration between the MLA College and UNITAR takes place within the framework of CIFAL City of London, the 25th CIFAL Center established, to promote the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and integrate them into higher education programmes.
The Programme starts with a period of gaining a shared vocabulary and set of ideas around sustainability, as well as investigating the various ways in which we might interrogate and analyze sustainability projects through a range of research methodologies and their associated techniques. Options focus upon sectors, so, the MSc examines, in greater detail, the sectoral responses to the sustainability challenge. It shows that SDGs interact with a range of social and economic activities in a number of complicated and interconnected ways. This will allow the students to evaluate projects and progress against sustainability goals more critically. The Programme finishes with a significant piece of individual research, on a topic of the student's choice.
If you have a background in sustainability already, or already hold a degree, the MSc in Global Sustainable Development is the ideal course to take advantage of that experience and higher-level learning.
The course aims to:
- Provide a sound, and critical, understanding of sustainable development, particularly with reference to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Show how sustainability is conceived and practised differently across the globe.
- Show how sustainability is conceived and practised differently across different sectors, and critically evaluate how the UN SDGs interact with these sectors.
- Enable students to evaluate the role of individuals, communities, and institutions in delivering sustainable development.
- Foster debate and enable students to express reasoned, evidence-based arguments.
Key Programme Information
- Degree: MSc Global Sustainable Development
- Language: English
- Awarding Body: University of Plymouth
- Start: January, May and September (Next start date is 5th September 2023)
- Cost: TBC
- Duration: 30 months
Please find more information about the Master in Global Development on the MLA College website.
- A copy of your CV
- A suitable English language certificate, for example, an IELTS. A full list of certificates accepted can be found here. (For International students only)
- Copies of academic certificates and/or transcripts
- A copy of your passport (photo page only)
- A 200-300 word personal statement explaining your motivation for wanting to join this Programme. You may find the Guidance document helpful.
Applicants must meet one of the below criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in a related subject area
- Relevant work or life experience in a relevant subject area
- English language GCSE Grade C or above. Click here for international student requirements.
Applications for this Programme can be made up of the following:
- Qualifications from a recognized education provider, or professional bodies.
- Prior work experience relevant to the Programme.
- A mix of both qualifications and relevant work experience.
As part of the evaluation of your application, you may be asked to provide further information about your work experience by completing a Mapping Matrix.
For further information about the Admissions Process and Mapping Matrix, read the Admissions Statement here.
If you have any questions about the Master's Programme, please reach out to Ms. Belinda Payne at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.