Traineeship - Learning development, management and communications
Geneva, Switzerland or Remote (preferably office-based)
The Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit of UNITAR is supporting the holistic and evidence-based implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs through training, learning, advisory services and multi-stakeholder engagement. In the context of this initiative, UNITAR is designing and delivering e-learning courses, face-to-face training and stakeholder workshops, offering tailored methodological support and developing and delivering e-learning and blended learning to support the mainstreaming and implementation of the 2030 Agenda in UN Member States by public, private and civil society sectors. In 2019, UNITAR together with UN System Staff College (UNSSC) launched a partnership initiative UN SDG:Learn that currently has more than 60 partners. UN SDG:Learn helps synergize and amplify the efforts of partners in the area of learning for sustainable development through One Programme, One Partnership, One Platform. Within the latter component, a gateway platform has been launched that offers learning solutions in a tailored manner to the needs of users.
The traineeship is for a period of six months. In line with UN rules and regulations, trainees are gratis personnel.
The incumbent will join the team in charge of the delivery of e-learning and blended learning events and will have an opportunity to contribute professionally to the team’s expected outputs and outcomes while strengthening her/his knowledge and gaining practical experience. The incumbent will also gain competencies in: training and learning methodology, technology-enhanced learning, and increase his/her knowledge of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Under the supervision of the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit, the trainee will contribute to development of the learning and training services and the administration and delivery of e-learning and training as may be required. The incumbent is also expected to contribute to the development of new partnerships.
- Contribute to instructional design for new or update of the existing learning products and services, incl. by using authoring tools;
- Support the administration, delivery, and reporting on the e-learning and training events (e-courses, online training, blended learning, webinars, learning packages, microlearning);
- Support the coordination of UN SDG:Learn activities, incl. maintaining the back office, organizing teleconferences, supporting the working groups, etc;
- Contribute to the preparation of communication and promotional materials of the Unit and UN SDG:Learn, incl. preparation of social media posts, design of promotional materials, drafting of articles, blogs;
- Support the development of partnerships with educational and training institutions, including drafting concept notes, developing PPTs, organizing meetings, ensuring follow-up, etc.;
- Support the implementation of the planned project activities as may be applicable.
Upon completion of the traineeship, the incumbent will have:
- Improved skills related to the design of adult learning products and adult learning management;
- Strengthened his/her knowledge of the SDGs and 2030 Agenda, including in relation to sustainability competencies, stakeholder engagement, strategic planning, monitoring the SDGs among others;
- Gained direct experience in working within an international team of UN experts and staff.
- Supported the instructional design of new and update of existing e-learning and training;
- Contributed to the administration, delivery of and reporting on e-learning and blended learning (e-courses, online training, webinars, etc);
- Supported the coordination of UN SDG:Learn platform and its activities;
- Contributed to the communication and promotion of the Unit’s e-learning and training activities as well as of UN SDG:Learn, incl. design and development of promotional materials and drafting articles;
- Contributed to the editing and proofreading of 1-2 sets of learning materials/courses on SDGs;
- Provided support to the organization of meetings, preparation of documents and follow-up on partnerships with educational and training institutions.
- Quality and timeliness of deliverables;
- Accurate and visually attractive developed learning and communicational materials;
- Course platforms are administered well, and queries responded to on time;
- Ability to work autonomously;
- Root files of all tasks shared;
- Timely and quality communication.
The trainee will be reporting to the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit.
Education: A first or a second-level University degree in one of the following areas: education, communication, sustainable development studies, international relations or business.
Languages: Fluent English is required. Fluent French or Spanish is an advantage.
The trainee should possess organizational, analytical and technical skills to assist with the delivery and organization of courses, good editing and drafting skills, graphic design skills, and working knowledge of MS Office package and computer skills to deal with e-Learning tools. Knowledge of or willingness to learn software such as Moodle or other learning platforms, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Articulate Storyline is an advantage.
General conditions of contracts for the service of Traineeship apply.
A monthly stipend of 900 CHF for the Geneva based trainees working in Switzerland, and up to 700 USD at other duty stations shall be paid.
As soon as possible
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.