Traineeship - Education and training for green and inclusive economies
Green economy, public policy, training design
UNITAR is an autonomous body within the United Nations that was established in 1965 pursuant to a UN General Assembly resolution. UNITAR’s mission is to develop the individual, institutional and organizational capacities of countries and other United Nations stakeholders through high quality learning solutions and related knowledge products and services to enhance decision-making and to support country-level action for overcoming global challenges.
UNITAR’s Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit (GCP) develops the capacities of individuals and training institutions in developing countries to implement the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and to advance green and climate resilient development. It offers a range of services, including executive training, institutional capacity development, support for national learning strategies, learning methodology development, and knowledge-sharing. Activities are carried out through partnerships with other UN organizations, bilateral development partners, as well as leading learning institutions and think tanks. The Programme also hosts the Secretariat for UN CC:Learn, the One UN Climate Change Learning Partnership (www.uncclearn.org) and is a member of the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) (www.un-page.org).
The Trainee will support the development and delivery of green economy learning products and activities, working with a young and dynamic team. The traineeship will focus on national and regional projects in South and Southeast Asia, with an opportunity to get to know the dynamics of how the UN works “as One” to support countries in transforming their economies.
- Support country engagement in the framework of the Partnership for Action on Green Economy in South and Southeast Asia (focusing on India, Cambodia, Thailand and Indonesia);
- Support the delivery and evaluation of a regional online academy for Southeast Asia on the topic of “Clean and Inclusive Energy Transitions in the Context of a Green Recovery”;
- Support the development and pilot delivery of an e-learning course on Poverty Environment Action;
- Provide support to the Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit, as needed.
After completion of the Traineeship with UNITAR the Trainee will be able to:
- Explain the process of developing effective training for professionals, i.e. approaches and best practices for instructional design;
- Discuss capacity development needs in the field of green economy, energy transition and poverty environment issues;
- Explain the process of organizing and running international events with multiple partners;
- Outline the work of various UN agencies in the area of inclusive green economies.
- Course materials are of high quality and visually appealing.
- Outputs are delivered in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrated competence to work within a team and the structure of the Institute.
The trainee will report to the Associate Programme Officer, Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit.
Educational background: Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree (environmental, social, political, law or economic sciences) or be a recent graduate with the qualifications listed above (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
- Sound knowledge in the field of environment and green economy, as well as interest to apply this knowledge in the area of training / capacity development.
- Ability to multitask, comfortable working with deadlines.
- Clear and concise writing style in English language.
- Experience in South and/or Southeast Asia is an asset.
General conditions of contracts for the service of Trainee apply.
Trainees are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local laws. UNITAR does not reimburse Trainees for any taxes, duty, or other contribution payable by the Trainee on payments made under the Traineeship contract.
The Institute will arrange health insurance coverage for Trainee.
Please submit your application along with a letter of motivation as soon as possible.
Due to high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.