Individual Contractor - Marketing and Communications - Second Recirculation
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is seeking to hire an Individual Contractor to support MDPU’s internal and external communications and outreach efforts, and to strengthen the brand of UNITAR’s activities in diplomacy.
MDPU designs and delivers the Institute’s Core Diplomatic Training (CDT), consisting primarily of orientation briefings and short, intensive skills development workshops which benefit cumulatively some 2,500 diplomats yearly at the United Nations Headquarters and other venues where the Organization maintains a significant presence.
Parallel to CDT, MDPU develops and delivers training activities at country and regional levels in close partnership with governments, universities and selected international organizations. MDPU’s activities also include e-Learning courses; special projects, advisory services related to the curriculum development of diplomatic academies; and the development of other training tools and publications.
MDPU welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of four months, at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. Flexible remote working conditions will be available in consideration of the current Covid-19 pandemic. IT equipment may be provided if needed.
Candidates are required to provide one example of a previous work to demonstrate his/her capacities to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the assignment (max. 1 page for printable content, 1 min. for video and audio sample) through a link which shall be clearly indicated in motivation letter.
UNITAR was created in 1963 to train and equip young diplomats from newly-independent UN Member States with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate through the diplomatic environment. Over the years, UNITAR has acquired unique expertise and experience in designing and delivering a variety of training activities. We have become a leading institute in the provision of customized and creative learning solutions to institutions and individuals from both public and private sectors. UNITAR’s mission is to develop the individual, institutional and organizational capacities of countries and other United Nations stakeholders to enhance decision making and support country-level action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
At the heart of the Institute, MDPU enhanced the development of its framework of training courses and expanded its capacity-building scope by launching various hybrid and online Master’s degrees, Executive Certificates and Diplomas, and online programmes in areas such as Diplomacy, Anti-Corruption, International Affairs, International Law, Development Studies, Leadership skills and more. These programmes target government officials involved in bilateral and multilateral negotiations, students, young graduates, non-governmental professionals, and other stakeholders.
In line with MDPU’s strategic growth plan, the Unit has been expanding its communications and outreach efforts to consolidate its internal coordination, deepen the quality of its content, raise awareness and visibility for its training activities, and strengthen UNITAR’s brand identity.
Under the supervision of the Associate Programme Officer of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit, the Individual Contractor will oversee the coordination of short-term external communications activities and long-term re-branding strategy as well as internal communication activities.
Typical tasks assigned to Individual Contractor may include the following:
- Assessing UNITAR’s brand and content, benchmarking the Institute’s position in the digital sphere against the learning and education field at large, and accordingly devise a long-term digital marketing strategy, in cooperation with the Director of the Division, the Associate Programme Officer, and in consultation with the team.
- Preparing and delivering regular Communications briefings, updating the team with communication activities, presenting opportunities, advising team members on best practices, and consulting colleagues on major marketing developments.
- Representing the Unit at internal inter-divisional communication fora, including the Communications Working Group and the Strategic Communication Strategy Working Group.
- Maintaining close cooperation with, team members, partner organizations, and experts, to devise and deliver communications campaign securing sufficient registration rates for the timely implementation of training activities.
- Devising and safeguarding quality assurance guidelines for marketing content, overseeing the drafting, reviewing, and timely publication of graphic designs, visuals, copies, and articles as needed.
- Maintaining close liaison with the Communications and Information Technology Support Unit (CITSU), ensuring MDPU content is in line with UNITAR standards and guidelines, and fit for approval at corporate level.
- Streamlining and consolidating MDPU’s social media presence; liaising with CITSU for timely publication of organic posts, preparing, monitoring, and assessing paid campaigns; overseeing the launch and maintenance of MDPU’s new LinkedIn channels and further expansion; coordinating coherent posting between UNITAR’s, the Division Director’s, and MDPU’s channels.
- Maintaining and updating UNITAR’s various website and online platforms, including UNITAR’s website, its diplomacy platform, alumni platform, and UNGBS website.
- Maintaining and updating MDPU’s contact lists, coordinating MDPU’s direct email marketing timetable.
- Maintaining close cooperation with external marketing vendors, supporting the Administration and HR focal point in related procurement processes, ensuring timely implementation of deliverables.
- Organizing regular outreach events, including livestreamed webinars, online or hybrid open days, and alumni retreats.
- Undertaking or overseeing background desk research on best practices.
- Crunching performance data as well as website analytics.
- The Individual Contractor maybe tasked to train, mentor, and supervise trainees in his/her area of assignment as required.
- Any other tasks as required.
The tasks assigned may be reviewed during the contract period to reflect changes in programme needs and priorities.
The selected candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Master’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Brand Management, Journalism, Political Communication, Public Relations, or any other related field.
- Previous experience in managing communications and digital marketing campaigns.
- Proficiency of the English language. Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset, in particular French, Spanish, Russian and/or Arabic.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, attention to details and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and ability to manage and report on paid advertising campaigns.
- Experience using Content Management Systems (Wordpress, Processwire).
- High level of individual responsibility, commitment, and initiative.
- Good public speaking skills, and confidence in proposing and defending innovative ideas.
- Excellent analytical and research skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Creative mindset and ability to think outside the box.
- Curiosity and interest in innovations in digital marketing.
- Knowledge of graphic design and video editing will be an asset.
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite (Acrobat Pro DC, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements, Media Encoder, After Effects) and Excel would be an asset.
Candidates are invited to submit their application as soon as possible and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
Due to the high number of expected applications, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.