SDGs Learning, Training & Practice 2018
Organized during the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF)
The Division for Sustainable Development in the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) are co-organizing the High-level Political Forum for Sustainable Development (HLPF) SDGs Learning, Training and Practice sessions – a capacity building, networking and experience-sharing event, with high-level speakers and experts on crucial topics related to the implementation of Agenda 2030 and the SDGs.
The meeting of the United Nations HLPF will take place under the auspices of ECOSOC from 9 to 18 July 2018 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. The forum will debate the theme: "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies” Effective implementation of Agenda 2030 and the SDGs will require access to knowledge and information, not only for policy makers and leaders to design well-informed and effective policies and strategies, but also for committed and engaged individuals around the world to guarantee that no one is left behind.
The HLPF SDGs Learning, Training and Practice sessions aim at providing space for Governments, academic institutions, think tanks and other stakeholders to offer learning and training sessions on sustainable development implementation during intergovernmental meetings at the United Nations. It will also provide an opportunity to HLPF participants to acquire practical knowledge, information, skills, training as well as exchange of views on lessons learned, experiences and best practices to find effective sustainable solutions to challenges in their countries, communities, cities, villages and/or neighbourhoods.
Concretely, the HLPF SDGs Learning, Training and Practice sessions will aim to advance:
- Knowledge and skills acquisition
- Sharing experiences and peer to peer collaboration
- Learning about practical actions and best practices
- Capacity building
- Practical policy integration and coherence
Courses will cover themes and issues directly relevant to supporting countries and other stakeholders to continue implementing an ambitious, transformative and complex agenda, and address the set of SDGs agreed for in-depth discussions at the 2018 HLPF, namely:
- SDGs 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- SDGs 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- SDGs 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- SDGs 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- SDG 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development (as crosscutting).
The SDGs Learning, Training & Practice sessions will offer 9 different sessions, taking place between 9 - 13 July 2018, at United Nations Headquarters, New York. Each course will last three hours with morning sessions from 10am to 1pm and afternoon sessions from 3 pm to 6 pm. The courses will run in parallel to the HLPF formal meetings.
The sessions will be open to all participants attending HLPF.
Mr. Pelayo Alvarez
United Nations Institute for Training and Research