Securing seats or posts in various UN bodies has become a complicated and time-consuming but also important task for many election officers of Permanent Missions. This is particularly true as the Organization’s activities have expanded and more institutions have emerged.
This workshop aims to: enhance the understanding of election procedures and processes among participating election officers; equip participants with the necessary overview and tools to identify opportunities for candidatures, and provide election officers with insights and experience of successful campaigning.
To enable participants to:
- Describe the composition of the principal UN organs and selected subsidiary organs;
- Compare the different electoral rules that apply in the UN organs;
- Describe the key elements of the rules and procedures for elections and voting;
- Interpret the rules and procedures, established practice and legal interpretation pertaining to voting;
- Contrast the decision-making processes of the regional groups for endorsing candidates;
- Appraise and assess the trade-offs and risks of engaging in a campaign.