- What is personal data?
- What personal data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How do we use your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- How to contact us
- Informed consent
- Until when do we keep your personal data?
- Where we keep your personal data?
1. What is personal data?
Personal data is “any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person” as defined in the United Nations Personal Data Protection and Privacy Principles, October 2018.
2. What data do we collect?
When registering, applying or participating in a UNITAR event, UNITAR may collect the following data:
- Personal identification information that you voluntarily provide to us:
- First name
- Last name
- Date of birth
- Organizational affiliation
- To use the images or videos of UNITAR events in which you appear in digital or print media.
- To receive UNITAR newsletters, upcoming course announcements and other communications by email.
- Main and billing addresses
UNITAR does not request all of the above-listed personal data in all circumstances and some data such as date of birth and disability status are optional.
3. How do we collect your data?
You provide UNITAR with most of the data we collect. We collect and process data when you:
- Create an account on this website.
- Apply or register for UNITAR events.
- Use or view this website (via cookies).
4. How do we use your data?
UNITAR collects your data so that we can:
- Process your application or registration for an event.
- Use your data for statistical purposes and internal reports. For example, we may download personal data from time to time in aggregate form for reporting purposes (e.g. to report on gender or geographic representation of our beneficiaries). We may also download personal data (e.g. email addresses) for the purpose of inviting feedback on our training services in the form of surveys. We never disclose or share an individual's identity in any reports unless duly authorized, except if required when reporting to donors.
5. What are your data protection and privacy rights?
UNITAR would like to ensure that you are fully aware of your data protection rights. All users are entitled to:
- The right to access – You have the right to access your personal data from UNITAR. You can download a copy of your data by clicking on the button, “Download data” on your profile page at any time, or by submitting a request by email to UNITAR at email@example.com with a subject line “Subject Access Request”.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that UNITAR corrects any personal information you believe to be inaccurate, or to add information that you consider to be incomplete. You can edit your own personal profile and update it at any moment.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that UNITAR erases your personal identification information. Once data is erased, it won’t be possible to retrieve it, and any application in the process of selection will no longer be considered. You can download a copy of your data by clicking on the “Delete user” button on your profile page.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that UNITAR restricts the processing of your personal data. You can access your personal profile and click on the “Restrict user” button. This action will temporarily anonymize your personal data. It will not be possible to access your data during this period and you will not be able to apply or register for events. You cannot restrict the use of your data while you are enrolled on an event.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to download the personal data that you have provided to UNITAR. You can download a copy of your data on your profile page by clicking on the “Download data” button. The data will be provided exclusively in CSV format.
- The right to lodge a complaint – You have the right to lodge a complaint by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org if you feel that the protection of your personal data has been breached.
6. What are cookies?
8. What types of cookies do we use?
9. How to manage cookies
10. How to contact us
11. Informed consent
12. Until when do we keep your personal data?
UNITAR keeps your personal data for 5 years from the date you create a user account or from the date which UNITAR may record your personal data in our record system, at which point an automatic process will anonymize your personal data. After anonymization, your personal data, registrations and invoices cannot be recovered.
The conditions to anonymize the data are:
- The user account has been created 5 years ago but the user has never accessed his / her account;
- The user account has been created more than 5 years ago, but the last access from the user took place 5 years ago or more; or
- The personal data has been recorded by UNITAR in its records system 5 years ago.
13. Where we keep your personal data?
We keep your personal data on a secure website and we do not share or sell your data with third parties. Sensitive data, like passwords, are kept encrypted and all navigation is done under a secure (SSL) connection.