Multilateral conferences are one of the most important means to achieve policy objectives and to discuss multilateral issues. Due to the importance of these conferences, the number of government officers and other stakeholders involved in conference processes has increased significantly. In order for delegates to help fulfil the conference mandate and advance their national policy objectives, they must be able to manage a complex set of formal and informal processes in addition to the substantive issues to be addressed, as well as enhancing their knowledge, skills and confidence to perform more efficiently in bilateral and multilateral negotiations.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify how conferences unfold;
- Analyze and discuss the documents issued by the different organs of the United Nations;
- Identify how to prepare for multilateral conferences;
- Value the importance of consultation in the process leading from negotiating to adopting United Nations resolutions;
- Use the rules of multilateral conferences or meetings in a more efficient way to negotiate and adopt United Nations resolutions;
- Performing more effectively in bilateral and multicultural context.
This workshop will focus on skills and knowledge required for effective participation in Multilateral Conferences, including:
- Preparation for formal and informal processes in use in and around the United Nations Conference, including rules of procedures and rules of debates;
- Effective writing in Multilateral Diplomacy;
- Negotiating, Adopting, and Drafting UN resolutions.
UNITAR will welcome 10 Kenyan diplomats, 10 Somalians diplomats, and 10 diplomats from other nationalities accredited to the United Nations Office at Nairobi to the course. Participants must possess a proficient level in English to attend the workshop.
The workshop will take place from 24 to 26 April 2019 at the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) Kenya.
The workshop will be conducted in English. Participants will be provided with a set of training material at the beginning of the event. Certificates will be awarded to participants who have successfully followed the workshop in its entirety.