Social Media and Website Development Traineeship
A monthly stipend of CHF 700 shall be paid for trainees.
Area of specialization/thematic areas
Social media, digital marketing, website development, search engine optimisation, advocacy, awareness raising, communication, project planning and management, capacity building.
UNITAR is an autonomous body within the United Nations that was established in 1965 pursuant to a UN General Assembly resolution. UNITAR’s mission is to develop the individual, institutional and organisational capacities of countries and other United Nations stakeholders through high quality learning solutions and related knowledge products and services to enhance decision-making and to support country-level action for overcoming global challenges.
UNITAR hosts The Defeat-NCD Partnership and other relevant strategic initiatives working in the field of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and addressing related risk factors - such as road crashes, deaths and injuries, and assisted technologies for improved health outcomes.
The Defeat-NCD Partnership is a multi-stakeholder partnership anchored in the United Nations and includes governments, multilateral agencies, civil society, academia, philanthropies, and the private sector. It was established in January 2018 to help tackle the most significant global health problems of the age: premature death, sickness, disability, and the associated social and economic impacts of selected NCDs. It is based on the expert guidance and the technical norms and standards issued by the World Health Organization for managing NCDs.
This assignment will support the overarching work of The Defeat-NCD Partnership, enabling populations in priority countries to access a range of interconnected essential services and resources through four pillars of interventions:
- NCD National Capacity Building (Pillar 1): Work with Governments and other in country stakeholders to assess gaps in their NCD capabilities. Through technical support, develop a multiyear National Costed Action Plan to tackle NCDs. Facilitate engagement of relevant partners to ensure expansion of NCD services in line with national targets. The overall objective is to ensure that countries have institutional capacities, structures, systems, and financing in place to tackle NCDs.
- Community Scale-Up of NCD Services (Pillar 2): Aim to demystify, democratise, decentralise, and where safely possible, demedicalise NCD service provision. Enable the earlier screening and management of risk factors as well as the mitigation of established disease at community level. By increasing the use of self-care interventions, improve patient compliance, resulting in better treatment and health outcomes. The overall objective is to bring more of the necessary prevention and management of NCD services directly to the communities and people who need them most.
- Affordability and Accessibility of Essential NCD Supplies (Pillar 3): To make the provision of NCD supplies simpler and more cost-effective by designing a Marketplace to create a fair, competitive environment that serves the interests of both buyers and suppliers. Using market-sizing and price-tracking studies, the Marketplace’s methodology will correct current market failures due to information imbalances. It will also help address regulatory bottlenecks in an appropriate manner. The overall objective is to enable the consistent provision of affordable essential NCD medicines, diagnostics, and equipment in low-resource countries.
- Sustainable NCD Financing (Pillar 4): Governments need to invest more in health, with a greater share allocated to finance their national costed action plans for NCDs. While cost savings can be achieved by linking NCD programming with other conditions and improving service delivery and by reducing the cost of NCD supplies, additional and innovative financing will be needed outside of the ongoing aid support and expanding fiscal allocations. The overall objective is to establish a long-term sustainable financing model for NCD programming in low-resource countries.
GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF THE CONTRACT
The strategy of the Partnerships directs actions around four interconnected pillars that, taken together, constitute a comprehensive service package to tackle the most common gaps and constraints that challenge the 90 plus focus low-resource countries of the Partnership.
The purpose of this assignment is to give the trainee hands-on communications experience, developing creative content and advancing a compelling narrative, targeting key external stakeholders, to progress The Defeat-NCD Partnership’s programmes and operational approaches.
Specifically, this trainee will perform the social media and website development function, supporting execution of the communications strategy.
RESPONSIBILITIES/DESCRIPTION OF PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- Develop and execute the Partnership’s social media approach, to engage identified key audiences and achieve determined outputs/outcomes. Build social media presence, resulting in an upward trend in analytics, and drive traffic to the Partnership’s website.
- Develop and socialise guidance related to social media use and the Partnership’s work among personnel.
- Lead transformation of The Defeat-NCD Partnership website. This includes designing and achieving functionality related to delivery of the Partnership’s four key action pillars, specifically training (Pillar 1), the Marketplace (Pillar 3) and pooled financing (Pillar 4).
- Work with colleagues to ensure that all content on website and social media is engaging, informative and ‘on brand’.
- As required, work with colleagues and partners in programme countries to support social media and website activity.
- Support programme countries to develop informative and engaging content to enhance the NCD unit/division social media activities and website representation.
- Develop and keep up to date an online NCD library and ensure country programmes have access to latest national, regional, and international guidelines, protocols, research and initiatives.
After the assignment, the trainee should be able to:
- Translate vision into actionable objectives.
- Work independently and take initiative.
- Be familiar with The Defeat-NCD Partnership’s four pillars of work.
- Plan and organise programmes and projects.
- Work in a multicultural environment.
- Engage with professionals and experts, working with various and unique skill sets.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS/DELIVERABLES/SCHEDULE OF DELIVERABLES
- Greater engagement with target audiences across social media networks.
- Increased website traffic, with more views per visitor.
- Revamped website, with solutions to incorporate the ‘Marketplace’ and ‘pooled financing’ functionality into website sourced and fulfilled.
- NCD activities in various Defeat-NCD Partnership country programmes are well advertised.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS
The performance indicators for evaluation of results for this assignment are the following:
- Timely and quality submission of deliverables.
- Activities implemented with a high degree of effectiveness and efficiency.
- High degree of professionalism demonstrated.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Proficiency in building and facilitating online communities across multiple social media channels; increasing engagement among identified target audiences
- Experience of social media analytics, search engine optimisation and website design
- Able to plan content and adapt delivery across multiple social media channels
- Good understanding of social media marketing techniques
- Creative in developing multimedia content, and working with brand guidelines
- Able to multitask, comfortable working with briefs and deadlines
- Demonstrated diplomatic skills and excellent interpersonal skills with sensitivity to cultural and political differences
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Wordpress, and project management tool Asana (https://asana.com) on a daily basis is required for this assignment. Certification as an Asana Certified Pros (https://academy.asana.com/series/certified-pro-courses) or Asana Ambassador (https://academy.asana.com/series/asana-ambassador-courses) is preferred. Completion of relevant courses on Asana Academy (https://academy.asana.com) in order to enrol on the Asana Ambassador programme is required within one month of starting this assignment
- The assignment requires the trainee to be self-sufficient and equipped with the requisite professional tools and equipment to carry out this assignment, such as a laptop and mobile phone
The reporting line will be determined based on the assignment location.
- Master’s degree in marketing, public relations, communications; or another academic qualification in a similar field from an accredited and recognised academic institution combined with demonstrable social media and website development experience, is required.
- Training in website development is required.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree or be a recent graduate with the qualifications listed above (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
- Candidates should have a demonstrated interest in digital marketing, social media communities, website development, communications and international development.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an asset.
Deadline for submission of applications: We accept applications on a rolling basis
Duration of Assignment: twelve months. On an exceptional basis, the duration of a Traineeship assignment may be reduced to meet the availability and academic requirements of the Trainee, as well as the needs of The Defeat-NCD Partnership.
This is a full-time Traineeship assignment, and the selected trainees shall be expected to work five days a week.
Number of Vacancies: Multiple
Duty Station: Multiple
Indicative starting date: as soon as possible
Send a letter of motivation and P11 form or Curriculum Vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “Social Media and Website Development Traineeship – The Defeat-NCD Partnership”. In the letter of motivation, please attach examples of/links to managed social media accounts and websites developed.
Due to the high number of expected applications, UNITAR will only contact shortlisted applicants.