Information Technology Specialists (Roster)
UNITAR's Division for Peace is opening a roster of experts working in various fields related to software and web development to collaborate with its Learning Solutions team, the hub of innovation, and learning in the programme.
The Peacekeeping Training Program Unit is a specialized programme of UNITAR’s Division of Peace intended to offer systematic and comprehensive preparation to civilian, military and police personnel eager to serve in peace operations. The Division of Peace presents an effective and innovative approach to training; its courses are designed and developed to respond to the evolving and complex training needs in peace operations.
The Learning Solutions team of the programme focuses on creating needs-based, creative and innovative learning solutions for our beneficiaries, ranging from mid-career professionals pursuing a Master's degree online, military troops preparing for their deployment to UN peace operations, or young changemakers wishing to build sustainable peace in their communities. As a response to the growing need to develop innovative projects involving information technology, the Learning Solutions team is building a roster of experts available to support future projects involving the development of digital technologies for learning and training.
UNITAR’s Division of Peace is now accepting applications from qualified experts interested in working from distance on various shorter- and/or longer-term assignments, whose skills and technical expertise would greatly contribute to the advancement of the following projects:
- The design and development of user-friendly Android and IOS learning applications involving the intelligent management and exploitation of the data provided by the user experience.
- The design, development, implementation, and evaluation of a tailor-made website focusing on a comprehensive social learning experience and optimized for low internet connectivity.
- The design, development, and implementation of a series of basic and comprehensive 2D and 3D serious games ran either on a computer or a mobile device.
- The design, development, and implementation of computer-based and video-based virtual reality environments
- The development and implementation of Artificial Intelligence algorithms (machine and deep learning) aiming at supporting the learning experience.
Applications will be filtered through further steps and as opportunities arise selected candidates will be contacted by the team on an ongoing basis. The acceptance of candidates into the roster does not guarantee employment opportunities.
Individual work plans will be designed under specific terms of reference and projects.
Specific working areas will include
- Support team in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of software and web-based technologies aiming at enhancing online learning experiences
Fundamental skills and experience required, depending on the profiles:
- Comprehensive understanding of the various roles, functions, technologies, program languages involved in the management of IT projects
- Significant experience in IT project management, involving coordination of a development team, advisory role, and reporting
- Ability to design, develop and implement comprehensive IT software and web technologies using the latest standards
- Significant and successful experience in the field concerned by the application
- Ability to meet deadlines and adapt to requirements
- Good interpersonal skills (communication, feedback, collaboration)
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Collaborate effectively with different stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and organize oneself
Further desirable skills and experiences:
- Experience with the design, development, implementation and management of IT software and web technology projects related to online adult learning
Performance indicators for Evaluation of Results
Quality submission of deliverables; respect of deadlines; quality of communication and cooperation with the project team; demonstrating a high degree of professionalism; ability to work with a proactive and agile attitude.
This is a non-exhaustive list of expertise we are looking for:
- UX/UI design
- Front-end/ Back-end development
- Full-stack development
- Mobile application development
- DevOps engineering
- Data analysis and engineering
- Artificial Intelligence engineering
- Game engine software engineering
- VR/AR software engineering
Applicants should have a strong interest in innovation for learning and training.
Proficiency in English is essential.
Proficiency in French, Spanish or another UN language will be considered an asset.
UNITAR shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). Priority will be given to the applicants from the under-represented regions at UNITAR.
Click on the link below to fill out the application form. You will be asked to upload some work samples, your CV and a cover letter where you will identify the relevant technical skills, among which program languages, software development tools and any other technological references. The estimated time to complete the form is 10 minutes.
Due to the important number of applications, we will not be able to respond to individual cases. Those who will be accepted in the roster will be informed in due time.
Link to the application form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XSJVWCD