Consultant - Green Economy - Expert (senior) level - Extended to 03 May 2021
Implementation and mainstreaming of the SDGs in the national policy framework
Strategic planning and green economy
The Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit is part of UNITAR’s Division for Satellite Analysis and Applied Research. The Unit is supporting the holistic and evidence-based implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs through training, learning, advisory services and multi-stakeholder engagement.
As part of a project funded by the European Union, UNITAR is providing support to the Governemnt of Cyprus in mainstreaming the SDGs through its national planning and monitoring processes and governance. Outcome 1 of the project focuses specifically on strengthening governance and coordination and developing a robust strategic framework for the implementation of the SDGs overall and at sector levels with a roadmap for incorporating social and environmental sustainability issues in the development of the new long term sustainable growth strategy. Outcome 2 will support the design of an effective monitoring framework and coordination mechanism for guiding the implementation of SDGs in a transparent and accountable manner. Outcome 3 and 4 will aim to strengthen capacities of civil servants and raise awareness around the SDGs of various stakeholders respectively.
Under the supervision of the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit, the consultant will be involved in supporting the implementation of core activities under Outcome 1 and to a lesser extent Outcome 2 of the project with a focus on green economy & environment issues. The work will be done in close collaboration with 2 consultants who are supporting the governance and SDG strategic planning process overall, 1 statistics/data expert and 3 other thematic consultants who will provide inputs on othe thematic areas in addition to green economy.
The consultant will more specifically be responsible for
- Contributing - with a focus on green economy/environmental dimension - to the design of the tailored methodlogy for and co-facilitating 2 mutlistakehodler national workshops through which national SDG implementation strategy/ action plan will be developed (e.g., presenting on or facilitating thematic discussions on green economy);
- Analyzing workshop outcomes relevant for green economy, helping identify key action areas, developing and developing policy scenarios centered around green economy/environment aspects, contributing to other policy scenarios from green economy perspective, and formulating - jointly with strategic planning expert and taking into account other national green economy/deal strategic planning work - green economy/environment relevant high-level objectives, reviewing other high-level objectives from the perspective of greeneconomy/environment and suggesting changes as may be necessary with a view to strengthening the connections between green economy, digital transition and social inclusion policies;
- Taking the lead for formulating green economy-related outcomes, measures, actions and preliminary indicators that will be part of a draft implementation strategy and action plan, related responsible agencies, timelines, and sector-specific level guidance, making adjustments/changes based on the feedback;
- Reviewing/suggesting changes as deemed necessary to all the other measures, actions, indicators and timelines led by other experts from the perspective of green economy/environment;
- Making recommendations for reflecting environmental and social dimensions in long-term growth and sector growth strategies;
- Reviewing preliminary indicators with national counterparts and statistics/data expert against the EU SDG indicators, identifying other relevant green economy/ environment and lower level indicators as may be required;
- Including the baseline and the targets for all green economy and environemental indicators at different levels (impact/outcomes and lower levels) based on guidance from the national counterparts and advice from the statistics/data expert in the draft monitoring framework;
- Providing inputs to the design of multistakeholder workshop 3 with a focus on monitoring framework and mechanism and supporting facilitation as may be required;
- Providing inputs to finalize the green economy and environment indicators, baseline and targets for the national SDG implementation strategy and action plan;
- Providing inputs for the monitoring coordination mechanism from the green economy and environmental perspectives based on discussions during workshop 3 and contributing green economy related inputs in the recommendations report on the monitoring framework.
- Contributed to the design of 3 national workshops and their co-facilitation from the green economy and environmental perspectives;
- Analysis of green economy/environment outcomes undertaken and inputs provided to policy options/scenarios from the green economy perspective;
- Green economy/environment inputs provided to draft national SDG implementation strategy and action plan (green economy/environment high-level objectives, measures, actions, preliminary indicators, related responsible agencies, timelines, and sector-specific level guidance as well as feedback on other high-level objectives, measures, actions, preliminary indicators, timelines and guidance to reflect environmental perspective);
- Recommendations for reflecting environmental and social dimensions in long-term growth and sector growth strategies;
- Green economy inputs provided to finalize SDG monitoring mechanism and indicators, baseline and targets for the national SDG implementation strategy and action plan, incl. at impact/outcome and lower levels, and the monitoring recommentations report.
- Analysis and assessments are thorough and context-sensitive;
- Green economy/environment inputs to the draft national SDG implementation strategy and action plan do/are:
- draw on stakeholders’ views and inputs,
- aligned with SDGs and 6 EU headline objectives and national strategic planning work on green economy, digital transition, etc.,
- identify high-impact policy actions with cross-cutting effects across SDGs,
- conducive to policy coherence and account for various dimensions - social, environmental, economic - and all SDGs in an integrated manner,
- identify responsibilities and timelines,
- include specific sector-level guidance,
- include preliminary results framework,
- include recommendations for reflecting environmental and social dimensions in long-term growth and sector growth strategies.
- Content reflects most-up-to-date information and practice;
- Feedback from the supervisor and the country properly reflected;
- Policy areas recommended for action are high impact and conducive to policy coherence;
- Methodologies are inclusive and emphasize the importance of participation;
- Analysis of policy scenarios is evidence based;
- Indicators, baseline and targets and timelines are relevant, sound, show the right level of ambition and enjoy national ownership;
- Timeliness of deliverables;
- Collaborative attitude when working with other experts and the coordinating team.
The consultant will report to the Senior Specialist, Strategic Implementation of the 2030 Agenda Unit.
- Professionalism: Expert level knowledge theories, concepts and approaches related to policy design, analysis, public sector governance, strategic planning monitoring and indicators relevant for green economy/environment with an excellent knowledge of EU processes at country level. Ability to identify issues, high impact actions and recommend solutions and approaches. Ability to listen and understand the perspectives of various stakeholders and help them through in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Exercises discretion as required and is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Based on the supervision received from the supervisor, plans work in a manner consistent with the goals and timeline of the project; allocates appropriate amount of time for completing work; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Acts in full consultation and in compliance with instructions from the supervisor and takes responsibility for agreed assignments; is accountable and trustworthy; honors commitments by delivering outputs within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; and takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and shares successes with the team where applicable.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues (the team and other experts) to achieve organizational goals; is able to coordinate effectively with other experts and team members by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and providing relevant inputs in tasks where others lead; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; very good inter-personal skills and a demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds, and proven ability to function in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnical environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of technology development in the area related to online meetings, surveys, communications; data processing, analysis, and presentation of strategic documents and result frameworks.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Minimum 15 years of work experience in green economy, environment and national strategic planning processes and governance issues, including extensive and recent experience with EU countries as a must. All other factors being equal, the knowledge of the Cyprus context on green economy would be considered an advanatge.
Fluency in written and oral English is required.
General conditions of contracts for the service of consultants and individual contractors apply.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are encouraged to apply early on.