Vacancy Announcement - Internship/Traineeship - Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit – Tailor-Made (2 Positions, Arabic Speakers encouraged)
Organizational Unit: Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit
Duration of contract: four to six months
Deadline for applications: 17 August 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) maintains an internship/traineeship programme for students/recent graduates interested in gaining professional experience in a multicultural environment and enhancing their understanding of the United Nations system.
MDPU develops and delivers training activities at country and regional levels in close partnership with governments, universities and selected international organizations. MDPU’s activities also include e-Learning courses; special projects, advisory services related to the curriculum development of diplomatic academies; and the development of other training tools and publications.
MDPU welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of four to six months, at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. The placement is on an unpaid basis, but a monthly lump-sum of 700 CHF will be provided towards transportation and miscellaneous costs.
In line with the Institute’s efforts to improve its training activities, the Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit is developing an unprecedented amount of face-to-face activities offered to the diplomatic community based in Geneva, New York and elsewhere.
Under the supervision of the Associate Programme Officer of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit, the intern/trainee will assist in the development and coordination of a number of face-to-face training activities. The intern/trainee would assist in, inter alia, designing and managing these face-to-face activities and adapting training content to quality and academic standards. The intern/trainee would also be responsible for assisting in communications and outreach activities. Typical tasks assigned to the intern/trainee may include the following:
- Provide support in the coordination of tailor-made activities, including preparation of training materials, coordination of logistics before, during and after workshops;
- Assist subject matter experts with the development of participatory training activities;
- Conduct research and draft project proposals for further collaborations;
- Adapt training materials and learning packages to quality and academic standards and certification criteria;
- Be involved in communications with partner organizations and beneficiaries in preparation for the delivery of activities;
- Prepare key data, such as programme statistics and evaluation reports;
- Undertake research that may provide necessary input into such training tools and exercises;
- Assist the Programme in its outreach and communication strategy.
After the assignment the intern/trainee should be able to:
- Translate strategic vision into actionable objectives;
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Develop a professional rapport with UNITAR and United Nations staff;
- Propose ways to further UNITAR’s mission;
- Work in a multicultural environment.
Candidates should, as a minimum, either be enrolled in or hold a university-level qualification (Bachelors degree, licence or other) either in international relations, education, history, law, political science, languages or a related subject.
Please note that the status of intern is granted to candidates still enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate programme, while candidates having completed their education are considered as trainees.
Candidates should also have: demonstrated interest in training methodologies; ability to write in a clear and concise manner; analytical and research skills; administrative and organizational skills to assist in the organization of training activities; computer skills (to deal with e-learning tools, word processing, excel, power point, internet search, etc.) and a high level of individual responsibility, commitment and initiative. Candidates should furthermore have an interest in participatory training methodologies and instructional design, as well as being motivated to work with monitoring and evaluation.
Dates and Duration
Start date: September 2018
Duration: four to six months. The internship/traineeship programme is on a full-time basis and interns/trainees are expected to work five days a week.
Excellent knowledge in both oral and written English are required. Knowledge of other UN working languages are an advantage and candidates fluent in Arabic are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: “MDPU tailor-made Internship/Traineeship”. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.