Vacancy Announcement – Internship/Traineeship - French and/or Spanish mother-tongue - For Summer and Fall of 2018
Organizational Unit: Public Finance and Trade Programme
Title: Intern/Trainee (French and/or Spanish mother-tongue), (non-remunerated position)
Deadline for Applications: 29 June 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration of contract: 6 months, 100% of time, 40 hours per week at UNITAR offices in Geneva.
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is a training arm of the United Nations System and a strategic driver in today’s global and essential role of the UN by empowering individuals, governments and organizations through knowledge and learning to effectively overcome contemporary global challenges. UNITAR serves 50,000 beneficiaries annually by conducting close to 500 capacity development and research activities around the world.
UNITAR’s Public Finance and Trade Programme supports the Institute’s mission by delivering training, knowledge exchange and capacity development activities in promoting economic development and social inclusion as well as in strengthening multilateralism amongst UN-member countries.
More concretely, the Public Finance and Trade Programme addresses three thematic areas: namely, Public Finance, Trade and Intellectual Property, with a view to develop knowledge, skills and awareness among delegates, government officials and policy makers to understand the issues at hand and effectively address institutional- and country-level action to achieve their development objectives. Such an approach has become more relevant with the adoption of the new 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
The Public Finance and Trade Programme also develops strategic partnerships with national and international organizations as well as other renowned institutions to reach-out to more beneficiaries in a cost-effective manner and to share respective expertise and resources.
UNITAR’s internship/traineeship programme allows young professionals to put their talent and expertise into the service of the United Nations by contributing concretely in research, development, delivery and evaluation of various real-world projects and activities undertaken by the Programme and the institute in general.
General Objectives of the Internship/Traineeship Contract
This internship/traineeship is designed primarily to support the programme researching training materials, writing training modules, in working with institutions by assisting the Programme Manager in resource mobilization activities, research on new trends and emerging partnership opportunities, development of new projects and proposals, translation of official documents, organizing meetings and training activities for delegates while ensuring compliance to quality assurance guidelines and reporting requirements of the institute.
Required Skills or Knowledge in the following
Given the nature of the projects, we are particularly interested in the following profile:
- Strong research and writing skills are a must,
- Academic and/or professional background in finance, trade, business administration, marketing, communications, training or related field,
- French and/or Spanish mother-tongue, good knowledge in English is an advantage,
- Excellent oral and written communications skills,
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details,
- Ability to work with extended and remote teams, and
- Availability for 6 months, full-time.
Responsibilities/Description of Professional Services
The intern/trainee will be involved in various Programme activities such as:
- Conducting research and analysis on new trends, challenges and training services.
- Writing training materials under the direct guidance of the Programme Manager.
- Organizing training activities (e-Learning, workshops, and conferences).
- Developing project proposals to showcase Programme activities and achievements and expand collaboration with other organizations.
- Aligning the course materials to the quality guidelines of UNITAR.
- Supporting outreach and marketing activities to promote and disseminate training documentation to inform beneficiaries and potential partners about upcoming activities with a view of expanding participation and partnership from developing countries and Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
- Backstopping on-going projects and initiatives.
- Assisting in the day-to-day operational requirements.
Measurable outputs/Deliverables/Schedule of Deliverables
- Quality of research and relevance to a developing country audience.
- Quality of written materials and alignment to UNITAR quality standards.
- Institutions engaged to expand partnership and collaboration with UNITAR.
- Courses aligned with the quality standard of UNITAR.
- Quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Accurate reporting of activities including statistical data.
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
- Number and relevance of monographs and articles researched.
- Number of training materials written as per quality guidelines.
- Number of events/projects managed/assisted/implemented.
- Number of new courses self-checked/evaluated.
- Number of new partnerships identified and engaged.
- Number of projects completed within the assigned deadline.
- Number of course/project reports completed.
The projects and activities allow interns/trainees to:
- Develop relevant and researched content modules on economic development-related topics.
- Plan, organize, and manage training activities/materials of the Public Finance and Trade Programme.
- Develop new and innovative partnership with institutions globally.
- Evaluate and apply the quality requirements of UNITAR on its course materials.
- Assess and evaluate the results and effectiveness of training activities handled.
This is a non-remunerated position.
Place of Work
Trainee/intern works full-time at UNITAR Geneva (Switzerland) offices, under the direct guidance of a senior UNITAR staff member. In accordance with relevant UN regulations and policies, traineeships/internships are non-remunerated. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation, and living expenses are the responsibilities of trainee/intern and their sponsoring institutions. General conditions of contracts for the service of traineeship/internship apply.
How to apply
Please send your curriculum vitae and letter of motivation, explaining why you are suited for this traineeship/internship, to email@example.com. Please ensure that you attach your letter of motivation as a separate document, rather than in the e-mail text. Due to the high number of applications expected, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.