Vacancy Announcement – Internship/Traineeship – Evaluation, Planning Performance and Results Section
Organizational Unit: Planning, Performance and Results Section
Duration of contract: 100% of time/40 hours per week at UNITAR offices in Geneva, 4-6 months with a preference for 6 months
Indicative starting date: April/May/June 2016
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for Application: on rolling basis
Area of Specialization/Thematic Areas
Monitoring, evaluation and organizational learning
The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) develops capacities to enhance global decision-making and to support country level action for shaping a better future. The scope of the Institute’s work is global with some 40,000 individuals benefitting from the delivery of some 450 training and related events annually in all parts of the world and in areas as diverse as peace, security and multilateral diplomacy; post conflict peacebuilding and reconstruction; public finance, trade and decentralized cooperation; human mobility and migration; youth entrepreneurship; climate change, chemicals and waste management and environmental governance; and disaster risk reduction. Approximately 70 per cent of the Institute’s events are associated with learning outcomes, and an equal percentage of events are held in partnership with other entities.
The Planning, Performance and Results Section (PPRS) is located in the Office of the Executive Director and provides leadership in the areas of strategic planning, performance management, evaluation and reporting. Among its various functions, the session also leads the Institute’s internal quality assurance process and monitors the implementation of recommendations, documents good practices and promotes organizational learning and programming improvement through lessons-learned and the sharing of good practices.
This assignment is designed to develop the incumbent’s knowledge and skills in the areas of measuring and evaluating learning outcomes of professional training programmes and related capacity development initiatives.
General objectives of the contract
To support work and deliverables of the Planning, Performance and Results Section in accordance with the approved programme budget and annual work plan.
Responsibilities/description of professional services
Following an intensive, one-two week immersion period on the subject matter, the incumbent will be responsible for performing any or all of the following tasks:
- Contributing to the preparation of evaluations and/or performance reports, including tasks such as data collection and analysis, data visualizations and report writing/editing;
- Assisting with UNITAR contributions to the working groups/task forces of the United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG), including background research, mapping exercises, etc.;
- Conducting peer reviews of self-evaluation conducted by programmes;
- Contributing to any other evaluation-related tasks that might arise.
At the end of the assignment, the incumbent should be able to:
- Align evaluation questions with evaluation criteria;
- Describe 4 different levels for evaluating a training programme;
- Apply 4 different ways to measure learning in a training programme;
- Identify the most appropriate methods for evaluating the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of a training programme;
- Differentiate between findings, conclusions, recommendations and lessons-learned.
Note: The above learning objectives are indicative and may be adjusted depending on the specific nature of the work to be conducted.
What the intern/trainee will gain from this assignment
- Knowledge of and practical experience in designing and undertaking evaluation-related work in a small United Nations entity specializing in training and capacity development in key areas related to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Possibility to contribute work from the internship/traineeship in the preparation of Master theses or research.
Measurable outputs/deliverables/schedule of deliverables
- Timely delivery of results based on work plan to be defined at the start of the contract.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- To be defined on the basis of discussions with the internship/traineeship incumbent prior to the start of work.
- Professionalism: Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the Internet, intranet and other databases. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; shows commitment towards continual learning. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Based on the supervision received, identifies priority activities and assignments with minimal supervision; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; very good inter-personal skills and a demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds, and proven ability to function in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnical environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of technology development.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Successful applicants will have an interest in the evaluation of training/capacity development initiatives and international affairs, in particular development / Agenda 2030 issues. Prior knowledge and/or interest in evaluation is required. Bachelor degree in social sciences or related field.
Associate Programme Officer, Planning, Performance and Results Section
Fluency in spoken and written English or French.
Please note that this is a non-remunerated positon. Please note that the minimum time commitment is 4 months. Given the nature of the work involved, home based work/telecommuting may be authorized.
General conditions of contracts for the service of internship/traineeship apply. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation, and living expenses are the responsibilities of interns/trainees.
How to apply
Send a letter of motivation and P11 form or Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Evaluation – Internship/traineeship opportunity”.
Due to the high number of expected applications, UNITAR will only contact shortlisted applicants.