Vacancy Announcement – Individual Contractor - Programme Specialist
Project title, Programme: Office of Executive Director - Defeat-NCD Partnership
Deadline for applications: 24 January 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration of contract: Fulltime and starting as soon as possible for six months. Part-time (at least 40% fulltime equivalent) appointment can be considered. Well-performing candidates will have the opportunity to be considered for longer-term positions subject to progress.
Areas of specialization: Public Health, Programme Management
The Defeat-NCD Partnership (see detailed concept note) addresses the most significant global health problem of the age: premature death, sickness, and disability from selected no-communicable diseases. It will focus initially on diabetes and hypertension, and expand to other NCDs when feasible. The Partnership works by mobilizing global knowledge, tools, capacities, and finances to benefit resource-poor countries according to their specific needs and defined NCD action plans. This includes the populations of humanitarian concern that are hosted by them. The priority focus is on 49 least developed and low-income countries with technical capacity building support also available to a further 43 lower middle income countries.
The Defeat-NCD Partnership advances and sustains the achievement of Universal Health Coverage through enabling poorer populations at risk of NCDs to receive the prevention, screening, and treatment services they need through nationally-led health systems and health-care provision arrangements. This is a direct contribution to Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3 on ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages, and specifically target 3.4 to reduce by one-third premature mortality from NCDs by 2030.
The secretariat of the Defeat-NCD Partnership is located in Geneva, currently within the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
To provide technical support for the development and implementation of the country-based activities of the Defeat-NCD Partnership
- Familiarize oneself with the strategies, approaches, partnerships, and operating modalities of the Defeat-NCD Partnership
- Acting as ‘desk officer’ and first/focal point of contact for the country programmes in the incumbent’s portfolio
- Conducting country assessments and formulating the Partnership’s country assistance strategies, in relation to countries included in the incumbent’s portfolio
- Identifying specific country projects and activities for Partnership support
- Developing and sustaining in-country and international partnerships with resource mobilisation in support of country programmes
- Providing technical advice and assistance to programming partners as required
- Helping to recruit and facilitate the inputs of relevant experts when needed for specialised programming aspects
- Tracking, monitoring, reviewing, and reporting on progress with programmes, and identifying solutions if implementation problems are encountered
- Writing and editing a range of content in relation to designated country programmes: project documents, funding applications, blogs, articles, information sheets, brochures, newsletters, progress reports, and key messages, as appropriate
- Knowledge sharing with the wider Defeat-NCD Partnership through distilling lessons learnt and other insights gained from programming
- Supporting the Defeat-NCD partnership’s wider communications, outreach, and resource mobilisation through social media and professional networking, and researching and reaching out to new partners and supporters
- Contributing to the development of overall Partnership guidance materials such as manuals and procedures concerned with country support activities.
Timely and quality discharge of set tasks
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
Expanded country programming achieved.
- Master’s degree in biological, health, social sciences, or another discipline relevant to international development. Qualification or/and experience in public health will be a strong asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language (especially French, Spanish, Russian) will be a strong asset
- Able to travel on country missions as required
The incumbent reports to Dr Mukesh Kapila, UNITAR Senior Adviser.
Negotiable based on qualifications and previous experience.
The general conditions of contracts for the services of Individual Contractor apply.
For further information or to express potential interest:
Please send a cv and write to Dr Mukesh Kapila on Secretariat@Defeat-NCD.org