Vacancy – Individual Contractor – Design and Communication
Programme: Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit, Division for Planet
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for applications: 24 June 2018
Duration of contract: Start date as soon as possible. Initial contract duration of 6 months with possibility of extension.
UNITAR’s Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit (GCP) develops the capacities of individuals and training institutions in developing countries to implement the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and to advance green and climate resilient development. It offers a range of services, including executive training, institutional capacity development, support for national learning strategies, learning methodology development, and knowledge-sharing. Activities are carried out through partnerships with other UN organizations, bilateral development partners, as well as leading learning institutions and think tanks. The Programme also hosts the Secretariat for UN CC:Learn, the One UN Climate Change Learning Partnership (www.uncclearn.org) and is a member of the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) (www.un-page.org).
Over the past years, GCP has invested in strengthening its outreach and communication activities. Examples include the UN CC:Learn Medium Blog (https://medium.com/@uncclearn) and social media presence (https://www.facebook.com/uncclearn / https://twitter.com/uncclearn). The programme has also put increased emphasis on high-quality visual design of its learning and knowledge products, for better uptake and visibility.
The programme is looking for an Individual Contractor with creativity and imagination that can support both the visual design of various learning products, as well as the conceptualization and roll-out of effective communication campaigns. Specific tasks of the Individual Contractor will include:
Communication and outreach:
- Develop and implement a quarterly communications work plan;
- Support the advancement and implementation of the UN CC:Learn communications strategy in collaboration with the UN CC:Learn team;
- Provide advice on communications and outreach for other major projects of the Planet Division;
- Train and coach other team members on best practices and innovative communication solutions;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest communications trends and tools;
- Attend UNITAR communication meetings and maintain relationships with the UNITAR communications team.
Visual design for online and offline products:
- Create illustrations and layouts for reports, brochures, syllabi, e-books, communication materials, and other documents;
- Develop designs for innovative learning modules and e-tutorials;
- Create appealing concepts and templates for presentations and improve design of existing ones;
- Coordinate the work of external consultants and provide additional design support, when necessary to ensure that the final design is of high standards.
Skills and competencies
- Communication skills – Clear grasp of communications strategies and creativity in applying them; ability to express technical concepts in clear and simple language for diverse audiences; ability to prepare and deliver targeted and results-oriented presentations; proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- Planning & Organizing – Sound planning and organizational skills and ability to prioritize own work, delivering results and quality work, including when working under pressure.
- Design & Creativity – Has “an eye for design”; proposes clean and clearly structured layouts; has capacity to develop new products from scratch that are conceptually and visually convincing and user-friendly; actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; takes calculate risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; very good inter-personal skills and a demonstrated capacity to deal with colleagues and counterparts from different backgrounds, and proven ability to function in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnical environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Qualifications and experience
- Education: Master’s level degree in communication, design, digital media, or a related area an important asset, but not a requirement.
- Experience: A minimum of three years of relevant working experience in journalism, strategic communications and/or visual design.
- Software: Proficiency in using design software (such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) and social media tools.
Fluency in English - written and spoken - is a must (native speaker level). Good conduct of a second UN language would be an asset.
The Individual Contractor will report to the Specialist, Green Development and Climate Change Programme.
Duration of contract
Start date as soon as possible. Initial contract duration of 6 months with possibility of extension.
Monthly fee of 4,500-5,000 CHF depending on the background and experience of the selected candidate.
Individual contractors can work 10 out of 12 months. Leave days are 1 day per month plus official UN holidays. General conditions of contracts for the service of individual contractors apply.
How to apply
Please send the following documents to email@example.com by 24 June 2018 indicating “Design and Communication” in the subject line:
- Letter of interest (max. 1 page)
- 3 writing samples (communication/outreach products – no reports)
- Visual design portfolio (at least 3 samples of learning/communication products, presentations, websites and/or publications you have designed)