Vacancy Announcement – Individual Contractor - Communications and Outreach
Project title, Programme: Office of Executive Director - Defeat-NCD Partnership
Deadline for applications: 24 January 2018
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration of contract: Fulltime starting as soon as possible for six months. Part-time (at least 60% fulltime equivalent) appointment can be considered. Well-performing candidates will have the opportunity to be considered for longer-term positions subject to progress.
Areas of specialization: Communications, social media, marketing
The Defeat-NCD Partnership (see detailed concept note) addresses the most significant global health problem of the age: premature death, sickness, and disability from selected no-communicable diseases. It will focus initially on diabetes and hypertension, and expand to other NCDs when feasible. The Partnership works by mobilizing global knowledge, tools, capacities, and finances to benefit resource-poor countries according to their specific needs and defined NCD action plans. This includes the populations of humanitarian concern that are hosted by them. The priority focus is on 49 least developed and low-income countries with technical capacity building support also available to a further 43 lower middle income countries.
The Defeat-NCD Partnership advances and sustains the achievement of Universal Health Coverage through enabling poorer populations at risk of NCDs to receive the prevention, screening, and treatment services they need through nationally-led health systems and health-care provision arrangements. This is a direct contribution to Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3 on ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages, and specifically target 3.4 to reduce by one-third premature mortality from NCDs by 2030.
The secretariat of the Defeat-NCD Partnership is located in Geneva, currently within the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
To promote the Defeat-NCD Partnership through developing and advancing its external communications and outreach functions.
- Familiarize oneself with the strategies, approaches, partnerships, and operating modalities of the Defeat-NCD Partnership and develop a communications strategy in line with its priorities
- Writing and editing a range of content to engage with different stakeholders, including private sector partners: including blogs, press releases, articles, information sheets, brochures, newsletters, reports, and key messages
- Developing the Partnership “brand” and design principles and guidelines for all of Defeat-NCD materials and products to ensure their consistency.
- Developing and continuously improving the Partnership’s website and managing its content so as to increase visibility and connectivity with our key audiences.
- Organising and coordinating the Partnership’s interactions with the media, including providing background information, keeping track of media mentions, and proactively creating media relations
- Actively keep track of events and conferences of interest to the Partnership, media trips and related activities that expand the Partnership’s outreach
- Researching and developing new avenues for content distribution and promotion.
- Supporting the preparations for campaigns, including the production of background materials.
- Using social networking (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) and other online media platforms for information sharing and promotion.
- Researching into potential new partners and supporters and developing strategies to reach out to them.
Timely and quality discharge of set tasks
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Results
Increased positive awareness about the Defeat-NCD Partnership among key audiences.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, advertising, political science, public relations, marketing or related areas. A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Strong familiarity with online and social media communication technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language (especially French) will be a strong asset.
The incumbent reports to Dr Mukesh Kapila, UNITAR Senior Adviser.
Negotiable based on qualifications and previous experience.
The general conditions of contracts for the services of Individual Contractor apply.
For further information or to express potential interest:
Please send a cv and write to Dr Mukesh Kapila on Secretariat@Defeat-NCD.org