Vacancy Announcement – Communications Intern/Trainee – Hiroshima, Japan
Unit/Department: UNITAR Hiroshima Office (HO)
Date of issuance: 30 August 2018
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2018
Duty station: Hiroshima, Japan
Duration of contract: 3 to 12 months
Contract type: Internship/Traineeship
Areas of Specialization
Communication, Editing, Marketing, Graphic Design, Peace Building
The UNITAR Hiroshima Office is a small and dynamic team delivering capacity building training programmes focusing on peace building in countries such as Afghanistan, Iraq, and South Sudan.
General Objectives of the Contract
Under the supervision of the Training Associate responsible for Communications, the incumbent will assist in the writing and editing articles and communication materials, including the website, corporate publications, newsletters, social media and case studies, as well as development of visually engaging outputs.
Responsibilities/Description of Professional Services/Learning Objectives
- Assist in developing publications and reports by drafting text, editing text provided by other colleagues, and ensuring consistency in tone, language, spelling and style;
- Assist in writing beneficiaries’ case studies by interviewing beneficiaries and creating a story based on the interviews;
- Assist in writing and editing for website, online newsletters, including the UNITAR Hiroshima Newsletter, and other communication products;
- Assist in publication workflows;
- Create and publish social media posts;
- Develop visually engaging media;
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of training programmes as required;
- Perform any other related tasks as required.
- To gain knowledge on the work of the UN and UNITAR in particular;
- To improve knowledge about communications standards and day-to-day communications tasks in a UN context;
- To develop skills in various communication areas such as branding, social media and internal communication;
- To learn about collaboration and how to work with different departments and functions;
- Gain experience in working in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment;
- Gain experience working with beneficiaries from countries emerging from conflict.
Candidates should have an excellent writing skill in a various context and for different audience; ability to extract the key information from technical documents; experience in writing for web, analytical and research skills; computer skills (to deal with online communication tools, word processing, excel, power point, internet search, etc.) and a high level of individual responsibility, commitment and initiative. Candidates should be able to plan and prioritize work to be done for the different projects during the internship/traineeship.
Experience working with design tools such as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, among others, would be an asset.
Candidates should be enrolled in or hold a university-level programme (Bachelors degree, licence or other) or a graduate programme (Master) either in communications, marketing, journalism, international relations or a related subject.
Please note that the status of intern is granted to candidates still enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate programme, while candidates having completed their education are considered as trainees.
Proficiency in English essential. A good level of Japanese will be considered an asset.
How to apply
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
A letter of motivation, a Curriculum Vitae and a writing sample or portfolio are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interns/Trainees for this position at UNITAR will be based in our office in Hiroshima, Japan. Flexible working arrangements, including remote work and/or full/part time, can be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation, and living expenses are the responsibilities of interns/trainees and their sponsoring institutions. UNITAR may be able to assist the successful candidate with a visa application, should it be required.
In order to cover transportation or other miscellaneous expenses during the internship/traineeship, a monthly lump-sum of 500 USD will be provided by UNITAR for Hiroshima-based interns/trainees.
Interns/Trainees are not staff members and shall not represent the Institute in any official capacity.